Here are a few manga facts that you might find interesting or fascinating. Enjoy! :)
- Manga is a Japanese word that means "cartoons" or "comics".
- Mangas are read backwards for a North American, from right to left.
- Each resident of Japan spends around $30 US for mangas each year.
- Weekly Shônen Magazine was the first weekly magazine for children in Japan. It started in 1959.
- In the early 60s, mangas for girls were mostly mad by man authors. It all changes in the mid 60s with woman artists making their first creations.
- Manga magazine very often are containing at least 300 pages of material.
- Some titles can run for a very long time. Think of the entire Dragonball series!
- The series "Bleach" sold 50 million copies in Japan only.
- Many manga markets are hold in Japan gathering thousand of visitors.
- Naruto is considered one of the most powerful properties in the world of mangas.
- Most characters in manga comics have a dark side. Some hide it very well while others don't.
- A manga can have a mix of black & white pages and some with colors.
- An artist working on mangas in called "Mangaka".
- Women too can create mangas. In the early 70s, a group of women called "Year 24 group" had a great influence on this industry.
- Several "manga cafés" are available in Japan. Readers can enjoy their favorite mangas with a cup of coffee.
Go back to How to draw manga cartoons
Go back from Manga facts to home page
I Can Draw For You!
Do you need a nice cartoon character to enhance your work? Would you like some animation to add life to an application? For your website? I can definitely help! I have drawn more than 2000+ cartoon characters over the past nine years and I will be more than happy to help you with your project! :)