Here are a few manga facts that you might find interesting or fascinating. Enjoy! :)
- Manga is a Japanese word that means "cartoons" or "comics".
- Mangas are read backwards for a North American, from right to left.
- Each resident of Japan spends around $30 US for mangas each year.
- Weekly Shônen Magazine was the first weekly magazine for children in Japan. It started in 1959.
- In the early 60s, mangas for girls were mostly mad by man authors. It all changes in the mid 60s with woman artists making their first creations.
- Manga magazine very often are containing at least 300 pages of material.
- Some titles can run for a very long time. Think of the entire Dragonball series!
- The series "Bleach" sold 50 million copies in Japan only.
- Many manga markets are hold in Japan gathering thousand of visitors.
- Naruto is considered one of the most powerful properties in the world of mangas.
- Most characters in manga comics have a dark side. Some hide it very well while others don't.
- A manga can have a mix of black & white pages and some with colors.
- An artist working on mangas in called "Mangaka".
- Women too can create mangas. In the early 70s, a group of women called "Year 24 group" had a great influence on this industry.
- Several "manga cafés" are available in Japan. Readers can enjoy their favorite mangas with a cup of coffee.
Go back to How to draw manga cartoons
Go back from Manga facts to home page
Learn How to Draw More Adorable Cartoon Animals on My Second Site Now!
Looking for more adorable characters to draw? Great! You can now enjoy even more animals from my second site called "Axel Dankko". Don't miss the opportunity to work with original drawing lessons featuring fun cartoon animals not found anywhere else!